01 Oct Get Over It???
Get Over It ???
How many times have well meaning friends or family members suggested it was time to get over your break up and start moving on? Or start dating?
While I don’t have the answer to that question, the reality is that even once is too many. Until you’ve walked in somebody else’s shoes, it is certainly not our place to even remotely suggest when it’s time to move on. And even if you have walked in those shoes, every single person’s situation is different and there is no such thing as a timeline for this type of thing.
Bottom line is that a relationship has ended, a relationship that was probably a pivotal factor in defining your life path and who you are today. This is a loss like any other and you owe yourself whatever time it takes to grieve.
When you are ready, here are some things to consider incorporating into your life to help you move forward, at your own pace and in your own time.
- Spring clean your house, your wardrobe and your emotions. A good spring cleaning (regardless of the time of year) helps you to clean out the old and usher in the new.
- Join a gym, start a new sport – do something physical. It is a proven fact that exercise is good for you both physically and mentally. So find something you enjoy and get out there and do it.
- Make a list of books you want to read and Netflix shows you would like to watch and allow yourself the luxury of enjoying them a little bit every week (or every day if you have the time).
- Try a new restaurant that you’ve been curious about, or a new recipe if you enjoy cooking. In fact, try one every week!
- Go out and buy yourself a new outfit – something totally different to anything you already own. Or really go for it and get a haircut with a completely new you.
- Rearrange the furniture in one room of your house, buy new bed linens or reorganize your closet. Reclaim what was once a shared space as your own.
- And most importantly, make time for yourself, be good to yourself and love yourself.
So ignore all the not so useful advice and get over it when you’re good and ready to!
Only time can heal his heart, just as only time can heal his broken arms and legs. - Miss Piggy